Tuesday 13 May 2014

My job search, it goes on and on and on and on.......



There is a tightness in my chest and I feel like I am going to cry…..This is because I have been frantically (well it feels frantic because I have worked my self up to that state) trying to email my information to recruiters in the US and because I overslept and there is a 19-hour time difference I feel stressed because maybe I missed a window of opportunity.  Insert internal groan followed by a deep breath, all I want is a chance to get some experience and work as a CRNA! My mind is racing as I over-analyze and wonder if sleep cost me a job offer.  Really, Katie who sleeps until 10:30…. On a Tuesday??!! Dumb you are really, really dumb… and so goes the conversation in my head….I promise I am not crazy, promise!
 
...some of my school ID's
In all my CRNA finery!

Ok, much calmer now....Most of you know my “unique” story but for those who are reading this and don’t, here it is in a nutshell…….6 months before I graduated my husband was offered a promotion, accepted and shortly thereafter left to start his new position in New Zealand.  Since I didn’t finish school until August I stayed in California, then I sat for my Board examination in September (and passed first try FYI), then I packed up the house and by October 5 I was moving to a new country.  The emotional experience of knowing that at the end of my journey through school, I was going to essentially walk away from the start of that career is something that is very hard for me to put into words.  It was a new emotional experience for me because while I knew that it was a good decision (hubbie’s career and our future) it was one that brought angst and uncertainty at the same time.  

The very good looking graduating of 2013
Since October I have looked what job options there may be for me here in New Zealand.  These options seem to be dismal at best and none of them include actually doing any anesthesia (thanks to a very strong opposition against CRNA’s from the anesthesiologists of NZ-but that’s another story).  If I could work here even as an advanced practicing nurse I would. But, from what I have found out, to even get my nurse practitioner license is an uphill, (at least) two-year battle.  I’m not sure if I have that in me.  I just made it through an emotionally draining, physically exhausting two-years known as CRNA School.   So, I have opted to look for jobs in the US rather than here in New Zealand for the time being.  Once I am able to work enough hours to secure my US license then I will explore what options I may have here.  Then I will be, not only a girl gone kiwi but a nurse gone kiwi too…..and that’s when it will get interesting.
This is my office (or was and will be again) :)
As of now there are some US leads that are showing some promise, so fingers crossed, the anesthesia world may see me yet!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment