Monday 15 September 2014

Going to see the Buddha aka I'm never doing anything "touristy" again!!!


So while we were in Hong Kong I had the bright idea that we should go see this giant Buddha....I imagined that it would be a fun afternoon outing.  An enjoyable yet somewhat spiritual time as we visit this amazing sculpture on the top of a mountain.....boy, was I wrong. The vision in my mind and the reality could not have been more different.

Even though we bought our tickets ahead of time once we got there we had to stand in the "fast" line for 45 minutes...it was 90 degrees Fahrenheit and 90% humidity.....along with looks from my husband, this was not a good combination.  As I stared at the signs showing cheesy touristy activities you could "enjoy" once you got to the top I quickly realized that this was not going to be a good time.  I tried to keep smiling, while sweating profusely, while wanting to run back to the train station, while making fun of the crazy fashion around me in my head, while dodging my husband's stares and coming into contact with any other human body (a feat in Asia in and of itself). You get the idea.....

Looking down thought the glass bottom of the "VIP" gondola....see how swollen my feet are from the heat! 


That's what the gondola looks like and much to my dismay, it was not air conditioned...and after you boarded the gondola, a very annoying man with a camera demanded that you say "cheese" for a photo. I can laugh....now that I have stopped sweating. 

Looking down for the gondola thinking, "Wow, that water looks so cool and refreshing!" 

Approaching the Buddha, still in the gondola full of kids who were also complaining about the heat...

This is on the way to the Buddha.....at this point I just wanted it to be over.  My best intentions had turned into a sweaty mess....

By this point in was soaked in sweat and ready to get back to the hotel for air conditioning and a cold drink...totally fake smile here in my selfie....


Yep there it is, and nope we are not walking up those stairs......

 At the end of the day we laughed about my "great idea" and talked about how we are not, not, not  tourist-attraction sort of people(my husband insisted on the three "nots" to emphasize the point) rather, we are air-conditioning and cold drinks sort of people. I hope that you too got a good laugh (at least a good giggle) at my attempt to play a tourist.....lesson learned :) 











No comments:

Post a Comment